Retro Italian Gold and Sapphire Bracelet by Carlo Weingrill
A gold, platinum and sapphire tank bracelet by Carlo Weingrill, composed of thirteen articulated links of 18K rose gold with linear accents of calibré-cut sapphires mounted in platinum, to a concealed clasp. Bearing assay mark for 18K gold and Veronese maker’s mark for Carlo Weingrill. Measuring 20cm in length. Circa 1940.
Weingrill have designed several collections inspired by iconic geographical sites: from the English racing epicentre, Ascot, to Italian towns of Verona and Firenze. These collections worked almost exclusively in gold, with only a few small accents of pave diamonds. The emphasis on all Weingrill work being on the art of the Goldsmith, rather than on simply showcasing enormous rocks. In an interview from 1989, Paola Weingrill summarised the family firms attitude towards jewellery trends: “I don’t relate to American jewellery. It’s more trendy. Everything is diamonds, diamonds, diamonds“. Jewellery produced by Carlo Weingrill is the antithesis of this. Only 15% of jewellery produced includes gemstones, the remaining 85% is worked entirely in gold. Carlo understood the power of 18k gold in jewellery. Gold is a fundamentally precious component in jewellery for centuries. It is both highly malleable and durable. These elements lend it perfectly to be worn every day. The simplicity of Weingrill’s designs are intended to do exactly that, to be worn every.
See more bracelets here.