The now world famous Roman jewellery firm, ‘Bvlgari’ was founded in 1884 by a Greek Silversmith, Sotirios Voulgaris (1857-). Sotirios opened his first shop in Rome on via Sistina. Being located in the tourist centre of the city, many of Bulgari’s first clients were English tourists eager to buy a piece of Rome they could take away to treasure.
The brand’s name was adapted from its founders, to sound more italian. ‘Bulgari’ incorporated the Latin ‘v’ instead of a ‘u’ to draw on the city’s ancient past and give the company a classical air.